Thursday, April 26, 2007

In the Early Morning Rain

Before talking about running, let's talk about breakfast. Last night I had the marvelous idea that I'd make pancakes if I didn't have to rush off to work. I left the New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook opened to the (vegan, of course) pancake recipe. FYI, vegan pancakes are vastly improved by adding blueberries to them.


A closeup of tasty blue berry pancakes...mmm. You see, I bought these blueberries at the Green City farmer's market last summer. I bought a big ole 10 pound box of them. Yes, I do like blueberries. I like good blueberries. These are great ones. And I froze them so I could enjoy them throughout the winter. Well, it's spring now and I realize I've been rationing them a bit too cautiously. Time to eat them all up!!! So, anyhow, they were delicious.

Okay, time for running talk...

___________________________________


Days to Batavia Triathlon: 45 Days

Time of departure: 7:00am
Return: 8:30am

Sunrise:
5:54 am
Phase of the moon: Waxing Gibbous, 73% of the Moon is Illuminated
Temperature: 42F
Dew Point: 44F
Chance of Rain/Thunderstorm: 80-100%
Lake Temp: 48-52-ish

Route:
The usual lakefront route
Approx Distance: 5.5-6-ish miles
Running buddy: Matt (yea, Matt!)
Clothing: blue pants with stripes, neon green sweat wicker, purple windbreaker, army camo bandanna. yea, right, I know. What a sight, right?

The Drive Activity: Noisy. It was interfering with our conversation.
Dog beach Activity: I didn't pay attention.
People tally: I didn't pay much attention. There were a surprising number of dogs though. Cute athletic ones. And there were bikers. Bikers are hot, I've decided. Especially when it's raining.

What did I eat pre-run? Some dried apricots and some water.
How did I feel? Pretty good. Capable. My quads and Achilles tendons make their presence known, but they aren't a problem. They feel a little sore and tired, but also strong. At probably a 4 mile point, my proximal left Tibialis Anterior attachment on the tibia was twinging and the same spot but on the medial side of my right leg (so not the tibialis anterior), were twinging but not enough to cause a problem.
What do I like about running? It's as good a way as any to remember you're alive.
________________________________

I woke up early, before my alarms, in the hour of five. It was raining. Or could it be hailing? No, it couldn't be hailing. But the rain was hitting the window pane with more vigor than made me happy. Were we going to run in this? No, that would be silly. I turned over and fell back asleep.

Alarm number one went off. 6:30am. Ug. The benefits of jet lag have passed me by, I think, the ease of early rising, that is. Second alarm. 6:40am. Ug. It's still raining. Are we running in this? Should I text Matt...

What am I thinking?! Of course we're running in this. Of course he'll be there at (7:00am + x), get moving, Mary!! And so began the morning scurry. What is the temperature? Is this a warm rain or a cold rain? Where are my pants? Oh, where are my pants. Socks? Sports bra? Still in the laundry basket. Windbreaker? Long sleeve sweat wicker? What the hell is up with my hair? I need a bandanna, where's a bandanna. Oh, here, on the floor. That'll work. Brush my teeth. Wash my face. Eat something. What?! Oh, apricots, yea, that'll work. Drink some water! Where are my keys. Oh, where are my keys. Ah, a spare set on the hook! What else, what else... Shoes! Where are my shoes. In the closet? No, of course not. Under the table.

Ah.....

Out the door, and it's 7:00am.

Yes! I made it on time.

No comments: