Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The sound of the rain on the grass


The sound of the rain on the grass.  This is one of my favorite things here in Peoria, a sound I hadn't heard in a very long time.  In Chicago, rain makes the city loud.  Wet roads make for loud cars and there is enough of both in the city that there is a constant whir wherever you are.  But down here, there is not the incessant backdrop of city noise and when it rains I can hear it. 

The other day we woke up to the radio alarm, as per usual, but there was a National Weather Service alert.  Thunderstorm warning!  I'm always somewhat guarded about sensationalistic journalism, even from the weather channel, so a checked the radar.  A huge slash of red was rolling it's way across most of central Illinois.  So I went outside and saw this!  Now, don't be confused, the light color you are looking at is not cloud, that is the light shining through.  The dark gray is the cloud.  It was very beautiful.  The line between the dark cloud and the bright light was wonderfully and ominously distinct and extended from the northwest horizon to the southwest horizon.  I've never seen anything quite like it.

To the west:

To the east, still peaceful (Frank is on his way to school):

The storm was moving in at 40 mph, with wind gusts up to 60mph:

Above, the clouds were churning:

The wall of rain approached:
In other non-meteorological news: 

I've been trying to establish some fitness routine, which has suffered tremendously since the move.  I've started doing a little yoga again, and some walk-runs while listening to This American Life Podcasts, and I even took out a West African Dance video I had bought 2 years ago but never used.  I've been missing West African Dance classes something awful.  You Chicagoans are really lucky to have Idy Ciss teaching in town, and most of you don't even know it.  :)

I've also started working on some mosaics.  When I visited Portland 2 years ago, I discovered how much I loved mosaics and wanted to get into making them.  I had to move to Peoria to actually begin.  I'll post pictures when my first project is complete.  Guesses about what I'm working on?

Aaaaahnd...the news some of you have been waiting for: the unveiling of the new hobby!  I signed up today for some welding classes at the local community college.  Yep.  Welding!  More on this later.  :)

5 comments:

Sandiana Jones said...

Ahhhhh.... finally the mosaica have begun! I was wondering. Hope all is going well in Peoria. Now I can see you at Christmas time since we usually fly into Peoria! I've been busy gardening and working on more art. I'll post photos soon. I'm doing a 3 hour Zipline tour at the end of this month, through the Pine Canopy of Central Idaho. I can't wait. Love your photos by the way, we are just now getting storms....amazing lightning. I've missed it so much!

Sandiana Jones said...

oops.... I meant to write Mosaics....stupid morning fingers.... :)

Tambreet said...

Ooh, mosaics! I've always been a huge fan of those and stained glass, and considered taking classes in both.

Of course, I really don't need a new hobby, and I probably wouldn't be any good at it, given a complete lack of artistic ability.

KERaven said...

Ben and I took a couple of art classes in college where we got to do cool industrustial arts like welding; it was awesome.

paula said...

Hope you are having a good time in TX. Poor Sig, he's just a baby! I hope it is only an abcess or something benign. I'll be thinking about him (and you). Can't wait to see your mosaics!