Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Michigan Prepares for Hiberation


Time of departure: 7:00am
Time home: 8:32am
Sunrise: 7:05am (woo-hoo! Days are getting longer, folks!)
Temperature: 8°F (-13°C)
Wind Chill: -8°F (-22°C)

Water temp: 33°F
Route: The usual
Running buddy: Matt, of course. Who else?


Sky cover/ environmental observations: Described as "A Few Clouds" on the National Weather Service site, that's where I get my weather stats.


The sky was light blue above with some gray-ish clouds around the horizon. The sun was a pink-ish orange. The color of the sun is different on a morning like today; the rays that reflected off the lake reminded me of Arctic photographs. The lake was noticeably sluggish. The waves rolled slower across its body and without purpose or direction. When the waves did break on the shore, there was a spray, but it was not a spray with passion. Lake Michigan looked as though it was loosing energy and slowing down for hibernation. I wonder if the difference in the way the sunlight is reflected off the lake is not a function of the air temperature or the angle of the sun (because in the morning, it's always low, any time of year), but of the presumably colder temperature of the water.

I need to start keeping track of the water temp! (Okay, see above). Yes, at 33°F, I would think the lake would be slowing down some. I think it's about time for a Polar Plunge. (ERIC!) Eric, Mr. Water Dude, what do you think? Re: water temperature and reflection of light?

On the trail: I don't recall encountering any ice. There was some snow on the ground and on the path left over from yesterday's dusting. The wind was noticeable throughout the run which meant that only when we were directly down wind of the Christmas Tree pile were we able to enjoy it, which was only 1 1/2 inhalations for me. Scents are hard to come by in weather like this.

Lake Shore Drive: Full of cars but not too smelly. Noise was a noticeable but not a huge deal.
Clothing: Basically the usual. shoes, socks, army pants, wicker, t-shirt, GORTEX!, hat, gator, gloves. I was fine. When I got in all my skin was bright red. I could have used a pair of thin tights under my army pants. Or long sleeve t-shirt. Or a vest under the gortex. Or mittens instead of my knit gloves. Or warmer socks. But I was fine. Everything stayed on, of course. The gator was used more today than ever before. I think I need to buy Matt a be-lated birthday present...he's too stubborn to buy one himself, me thinks. And when that wind blows--man! You can really feel it all up in your brain, even without having sensory receptors in your brain. Matt added a second layer of pants, the first time he's made a clothing addition. The funny thing is that cold as it is, when I get home, I'm still drenched in sweat. Thank you, science, for sweat wicking material!

How did I feel? Quite fantastic, actually. Until we got back to about Foster and then I start to feel like my cells are empty. I have to start eating something before I go out, I think. I think West African Dance has really made me a stronger runner. All that jumping and twisting and landing really strengthens all the stabilizing muscles and stretches what tends to get concentric from running. The Bikram is awesome too, of course.

People spotted from the hill: Oh, hell no! Are you kidding??
Other runners: This is easy: 6 runners. 2 walkers, one with sticks. This was the same friendly man we saw last Thursday with walking sticks. I like him. 2 people playing with/walking dogs. This is, aside from the times we've run at night and it's been wicked cold and windy (before I started blogging), the most sparsely populated run so far. Interesting to note: We were the only couplet. Everyone else was solitary.
Bike commuters: 3 (These are the people of whom I'm in awe. It's wicked cold and windy and then you get a bike?!) But that's cool.
Grand total people: 13 humans. 2 dogs.
Dog Beach: 0
Destination: home, couch, dry clothes with hood, under a heavy blanket, with heat producing laptop

What do I like about running? This is deserving of a longer response today.

A friend of mine was saying to me yesterday that she's having a hard time living in this city because she's a "nature girl" and likes to camp and hike and whatnot. I feel the same way about myself, and I used to feel the same way about living in the city. It is, in part, in response to these nature cravings that I like running outside and especially running in conditions such as these.


Yes, I'm running on the border of a huge metropolitan area. Yes, the shoreline has been carefully engineered. Yes, I'm running on a tenderly sculpted running path. Much of the "nature" I typically see is trees, plants, grasses that have been selected by a landscape architect for their aesthetic value. Yes, much of the "wild life" I see is dependent on the trash of the human population. But when the wind blows and it bites you, when the snow crunches under your feet, when you slip on some ice that the salt couldn't conquer...You have that sense of being with the elements. On a day like today, Mother Nature wins, she won't be manicured.

Inside your apartment you can control the temperature, the wind, the wild critters. But outside, it is, again, as it has been for millions of years, one creature versus the environment. There is something liberating and powerful about choosing to be outside in these conditions, about bearing witness to this age old struggle. There is something about it that reminds me that I am alive. That I am choosing to be alive. That I'm choosing the life I am living.

No comments: