Saturday, February 17, 2007

Record Runners!


Time of departure:
7:30am
Return: 9:15am-ish


Temperature: 19F (I think it was)
Lake Temp: 33F

Route: To lakefront, down bike path to Irving Park and back
Running buddy: Matt
Clothing: BETRAYAL! My awesome new athletic socks aren’t so awesome. They gave me big ugly blisters on the backs of my ankles. Matt said, “did you wash ‘em before wearing them?” Uh. No. I don’t think I should have to do that. But otherwise, it was ECW minus the vest.

The Drive Activity: not noteworthy
Dog beach Activity: not visible
People tally:
9 Walkers
65 Runners
2 Bicyclists
8 People with dogs
1 snowshoer with dogs
2 sledders
2 cross-country skiers
________________________________

Environmental commentary: My schedule hasn't allowed me to write this blog in a timely fashion so I fear I won’t be able to do this run justice. I’ll see what I remember…

When I left my house and began running, I immediately noticed two things. One, there was so much slushy-snow on the concrete that it was like running on wet, but not hard, sand. If you haven’t run on wet-but-not-hard sand then you may not realize that this is quite a bit more challenging than running on hard sand. The other thing was that I considered going back home to get my goggles, because the snow that was falling was hitting my eyes like little bullets.

When I met up with Matt, I said something about how it was difficult to run full-stride because of the slippery snow-slush. He expressed that he had not noticed and hadn’t been having a problem. Interesting. So I lengthened my stride and actually found that it was easier to run faster on slush-snow than to run with a shorter, more consciously careful stride. How odd.

The sky was gray. It was snowing. It had started snowing the night before and there was then an additional inch of fresh accumulation, on top of the inches that were there from previous snow falls. This new snow was light and fluffy on the table we stretch near, a contrast to how it felt to my eyes when it was falling.

Basically, What is important about this run is this: There were A LOT of runners out there. Sixty-five, in fact, by my count. They were in packs. CARA packs. Training for marathons. Some weren’t in packs but in little trios and duets. I wonder if they had fallen behind their packs. One group we talked to was running 18 miles, training for a marathon in Georgia. I haven't counted to 65 in a long time, woah!, what a challenge. :)

How did I feel? I felt good settling into this faster pace. I like it. Anytime I got bored, I ran faster. Matt, “woo-hoo, it’s a window into your mind. I know when you’re getting bored.” I got a side-stitch towards the end of the run, but I think it was well-earned.

What do I like about running? Are you kidding??! I feel alert, alive, powerful, in charge of my body. What’s not to like?! My legs are definitely stronger, I notice it all the time as I move through my life. While working, standing up squatting, sitting down. And when I touch them, they just feel firmer. It's cool. It's cool it's not from lifting or something, it's from actually running...

2 comments:

Sandiana Jones said...

Run girl run! Now you can see that I do in fact read your blog. So proud of my little runner! I enjoyed chatting with ya yesterday sorry we got cut off. Enjoy the day!
-Sandiana

eric said...

wow - it's amazing how fast things are thawing out! i ran last night and it was seriously sloppy out there. i also noticed a lot more runners. it's amazing how just getting to 30+ degrees makes it feel so warm.