Monday, November 12, 2007

DAY 1: Rest Day

Today is Day #1 of Marathon Training. But this feels like a joke, because today is a Rest day. How silly, I first thought.

But then I got to thinking:

Anyone who is good at teaching you how to breath properly is going to teach you to exhale completely first. If you first clear out your lungs of stale air, a full deep breath will occur naturally.

It is best to eat when you are hungry, not when you are full.

My sister and her boyfriend tell me that, back in the day (of biblical times, I think it was) a day actually began with nightfall. First came nighttime and darkness, then came daytime and light. The light moves into the void. But first there was a void.

Perhaps it is only a coincidence, but our new year begins in winter, when much of life is hiberating and resting. Like an empty womb before the birth of a new life?

A fast, a period of time of giving up something, is commonly used by people as a way to begin a new spiritual journey.

And so as I had these thoughts I, of course, realized that it makes perfect sense to begin with a rest day.

(I still did do an Ashtanga yoga class...but it was a beginner class.)

No comments: