Saturday, May 17, 2008

Okay, so it's not a mosaic, but it's a start...And Yasso 800s, Take One!

This morning I woke up and knew I had to do something. I didn't feel like writing, so I did this instead. Yay! I think I spent thirty minutes or so on it.
This was my subject. The corner of my living room:


Please keep in mind I've never taken any drawing classes or anything. I'm a drawing baby! But it's fun!

And then Eric and Matt and I went for a run. Or, Eric and I ran and Matt timed me, cause Matt messed up his knees or legs again cause he doesn't get massages!!! (Or roll on the tennis ball.) So there are these things called Yasso 800s. Basically, this guy Bart Yasso figured out that you can predict (or train for) your goal marathon time by running 800m repeats in minutes:seconds what you want to run the marathon in in hours:minutes, and increasing that up to ten 800m repeats at the peak of your training (the week you're doing your final 20 mile run before you begin your taper). If I'm not being articulate enough to be understood and you're interested--check out the link. So today Eric and I ran some Yasso 800s.

I warmed up with 1 mile of jogging. Eric beat us to the track so he did 1 3/4 miles.

We did the first 800 together at 3 min 47 seconds. My comment, I never ever want to run a marathon at that pace. Eric, "You don't have to, this is the speed work. Remember, this isn't the marathon pace." Ah...yes. Thank Gawd. Whew! I had a scare there.

#1 800m: 3 min 47 sec
#2 800m: 3 min 52 sec
#3 800m: 3 min 57 sec
#4 800m: 4 min 2 sec
#5 800m: 4 min 17 sec (I think. And this one was brutal. Major side-stitchage.)

Eric's #2-5s were somewhere around 3 min 16-17 secs, I think. He's much more consistent than I am. And he did a #6 at 3 min 6 sec, if I remember right. 3 hour 10 min for him to qualify for Boston. It's within reach! Eric, "I'd have to change my eating habits." :)

I walked a couple laps with Matt when Eric did his #6 and then we did a cool down lap. Next time I think we should do more of a cool down jog, at least a mile. Really pump the lactic acid out.

I wonder if I could set (and have a reasonable chance of reaching it) the goal to get under 4 hours for the Chicago marathon. I wonder if I want to set such a goal. Chicago marathon is 5 months away. Hmm. I'll be thinking about it, it doesn't seem unreasonable. (Eric?) I'd probably have to change my eating habits too. :)

1 comment:

corvus said...

Well, shit. So that's were all mom's talent went.