Thursday, May 28, 2009

Final Stage of Moving; A Run Sandwich


Tuesday was the day before my scheduled move, and I'd scheduled myself a full day:  final massages with some very long-time clients, walk through of my apartment, final mid-week run with Matt joined by Eric.  

I'd mentioned, Matt and I had talked for years of getting french fries from White Castle after a run...and since I was moving we'd run out of runs--now was the time!  What I'd envisioned was not at all how it went down.  A warm summer night, sighting under the statue of a young Abe Lincoln on the northeast corner of Clark & Peterson Ave, gossiping or philosophizing...No.  It was pouring rain.  Matt was, as per usual, severely underdressed.  Eric was well equipped in his high tech, high visibility (as in bright yellow) rain gear.  And I was somewhere in the middle as most of my "gear" is in Peoria.  But we were all soggy, squeezing tablespoons of rainwater out of my "sweat-wicking" shirt, shoes still a little damp two days later.   It was probably the second wet-est run I've ever been on.   (Thanks, Chicago, for that sendoff.)  

So, like some very wet dogs left out in a downpour too long, leaving puddles on their floor, we picked up three sacks for french fries from White Castle, and then ran them home in the cold (brrr...) wet finger-pruning rain.  Brr...  Another "meal" on the floor of my apartment:



































































































Okay, well, I'm having technical difficulties adding text in amongst these photos; I was trying to use smaller photos, but I maybe can't do that without great working knowledge of this program and still have text between them. 

*****
So, Wednesday morning I spent finishing cleaning my apartment.  Bodhi is showing off my clean shelves.  :)  Sig understood pretty soon that he was to be going in the cat box, meanwhile Bodhi was hiding behind the stove/fridge, though she eventually came around.  (Aren't they cute?!  All set to go to our new home!)

Our drive was basically uneventful.  Long.   I'm completely tired of the Chicago-->Peoria drive. I'm glad I'm hear now and only plan to return for the Batavia Triathlon.  

*****
Kitties have been adjusting well.  Bodhi (not to mention Frank) has really been pushing the timeline up.  They'd spent the night in the guest room and were content with that...but Bodhi really wanted to get out and explore, kept reaching her little paw out under the bedroom door, trying to grasp at the world on the other side.  Sig has been much more cautious, reserved, obviously a little overwhelmed by the whole operation.  We kept them separated by door and gate, and then by gate, and then they seemed ready to be in the same room.  Mabel (Frank's kitty) has been less than thrilled with the presence of Bodhi&Sig and engages in a lot of hissing and posturing, but, thankfully, no actual attacking.  Sig doesn't seem to understand what her hissing could possibly mean, he's completely oblivious to it, Bodhi is slightly intimidated occasionally and will scoot away from Mabel.

I went with Frank today to Autozone which involved turning over some used engine oil, worthy of a picture for all yous in Chicago who would never change your own oil, but apparently it's all the thing down here.  :)  Like, real men change their own engine oil.  And Sig found Mabel/Frank's cat tree, overlooking the poker room.  I'm not sure Mabel was happy with him up there, but...oh, well.  She's a tough cookie to please.  I'll add some pictures of Mabel next time.

*****
Tonight I really did not want to run, but somehow, with thoughts of future regret as my motivation should I not get out the door, I put on my running clothes, plugged into an old This American Life episode called Plan B, and off I went.  

Run: 3.8 miles around the ICC campus.  Left at about 7:15pm or so.
-saw a sign that said, "please do not walk or run on roadway."   Hmm.  Is the shoulder the roadway?  I'll go with no.
-Saw on the side of the road: 1 screw, 1 wire cutters, 1 toothbrush
-1 Motorcycle class in session
-No other runners spotted

And now...to shower or to make a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake...?  

Also, will Frank's band play a show tomorrow night for the 1/4 Scale Tractor Student Design Competition?

(to be continued)







3 comments:

eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
eric said...

I can't believe we ran in that!

A show at a 1/4 scale tractor design competition sounds pretty awesome, maybe I will have to visit Peoria!

Matt Stairry said...

Where's the promised continuation?

UPDATES! UPDATES! UPDATES!