Monday, May 4, 2009

A run blog for old times sake...

for a run, for old times sake:

Time of departure: 9:00pm
Return: after 10:20pm-ish
Sunrise: 5:41am
Sunset: 7:52pm
Phase of the moon: Waxing Gibbous, 84% of moon of full.  But I don't know if I believe this to be true.  I mean, it must be because that's what the computer says, but I remember seeing a moon only half full.  

Temperature: 62-55F
Lake Temp: 38-52F  (What a difference location makes right now.)

Route: The old usual.
Approx Distance: 6 miles
Running buddy: Matt
Clothing: Rome marathon pants, LS sweat wicker, trail shoes...can't figure out where I've put my running shoes.  I guess they're in Peoria.

The Drive Activity: Quiet.
Dog beach Activity: It was dark.
People tally:  We're not counting people anymore.

What did I eat pre-run?  Some tortilla chips.  
How did I feel?  Alright.  Nervous about my knee.  (Actually, by knee I mean some weird pain near the head of my right fibula.  Not sure what it is though.)  It didn't hurt while running, but it's feeling stiff and irritated now...hmm...maybe I'll try ICY HOT.  That's still in Chicago.  
What do I like about running?  I like that Matt and I have been running on and off together for 2 and 3/4 years, Eric and I for probably 8 years now.  It's a good way to become friends with someone, I think.  
________________________________

So, my days in Chicago are winding down as my move to Peoria become eminent and with that there is an unformed list of things to do before I leave.  One (or a couple) of those things are mid-week runs with Matt.  There was a solid year when my every-other-day 6 mile runs with Matt were a central part of my life here.  They provided a backdrop, a canvass, upon which everything from the changing seasons to romantic relationships to unscientific experiments were observed, witnessed, discussed.

Our running routine developed to:

1) agree what minute to leave our respective homes
2) run towards and meet at pre-determined point equidistant from our homes

Of course, it would never happen that we'd get to the intersection at the same time.  I would leave a minute late, or Matt would run too fast getting there, or (it only happened once) Matt may over sleep, or (it happened more than once) I would over sleep.  But, today we arrived at the intersection at precisely the same time!  Matt said, ah, but not on purpose; he had been on his computer (updating his resume--yay! Matt!), and at 9:02 realized it was 9:02, put on his shoes, and left his house.  Ah, then, I said, it was serendipitous!

5 comments:

dyanna said...

I like your blog.I'm waiting for your new posts.

Mary said...

Hey, thanks! I'll try to write them.

Unknown said...

I am happy you're posting too!

eric said...

we HAVE been running for 8 years, wow! pretty amazing feat for two people who actually hate running!

Mary said...

Yea, dude. Maybe we should run 8 miles on the 23rd to celebrate. Can you fit that in around your pilates class? AND a bike ride down the lakefront? :)