Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mostly a CAT Progress Report


Well, unfortunately, Frank's band did not get to play for the 1/4 Scale Tractor Student Design Competition Friday night.  That would have been pretty cool.  And only now is that the Pineapple Upside-Down Cake in the oven, which, of course, I'm happy about as it'll soon be around for eating.   

The cats have been making progress adjusting each day.  Sig has been enjoying going outside on a leash.  I'll try to get some pictures of him soon; I think he looks pretty funny.  I tried to bring Bodhi outside the other day but ended up terrorizing her.  I'm feel a bad cat mom, and she may not be venturing outside again anytime soon.  

It's been fun watching the cat skirmishes and interactions while they're learning to live with each other.  Sig and Mabel have kind of cooled off with their posturing, but Mabel had been doing a lot of hissing and growling at both  Sig and Bodhi.  Bodhi had been mostly running and hiding, but in the last two days has started standing her ground more hissing back a little as needed.  Sig is mostly non-reactive when Mabel initiates something, and kind of annoying-little-brother-ish other times.

Here are some pictures of some cold-war-ish state of things the last few days:

That's Mabel on the left, Sig on top of the chair.  I think he was antagonizing her here with his presence, she was growling.


Sig, again, antagonizing Mabel, and trying to ambush her tree.  


I've been feeding them yummy wet food in the morning, and plan to slowly bring their bowls closer together.  The first day I did this, when Sig approached Mabel's food, she gave an old fashioned slap across the face.  He didn't respond or move at all until she'd finished eating and left the area of her dish.


But this one I just took a few minutes ago:
That's Mabel behind the curtain, Bodhi coming out from behind the chair, and just a few minutes after this was taken, Sig started licking Mabel's tail.  (!!!!!)  Mabel was making some grunting noises, but no hissing or slapping.  I think we're really on a path to success!  

*****

In other news, I've spend a good deal of time cleaning my car the last two days.  It's now cleaner than it's been in 6 years (I've had it 7).  And Frank walked me through changing the oil in my car, added air conditioning refrigerant to my car (yay! for A/C), figured out why my engine light was on (some tubes connected to an air filter chamber weren't connected), AND, maybe most importantly, Frank figured out why my horn was not working and fixed it (the vibrations of a honking horn vibrated a wire loose).  This does not mean I intend to use it excessively, however; I am not in Chicago anymore, afterall.  :)

There's also a Buddhist/Insight Meditation group in town I want to check out on Thursday.  This a group that Bhante Sujatha of Blue Lotus Temple, with whom I went to Sri Lanka three years ago, is going to be teaching in August.  So, if there are Buddhists in Peoria that are my "sort" of Buddhists, these will likely be them.  :)  

Tomorrow I've decided to start looking for work.  Vacation is over.  :)  More on that later...

3 comments:

Anne said...

Yay, kitty progress!! How exciting. :)

Good luck looking for work!

Unknown said...

How about a complete picture of Mabel! Great about the meditation group - I didn't understand how it related to Bhante Sujatha - fractured sentence or missing words???? Don't tell me you and Frank are playing chess?

Mary said...

I'll work on the Mabel picture.

There's a group in Peoria that Sujatha is coming to teach in August.

And, yes, Frank and I WERE playing chess!